When asked what change they wanted for their smile, most people in one survey replied “whiter teeth.” Another report shows that 90% of orthodontic patients seek teeth whitening.
All of this to say: People want bright, white teeth. But what if your teeth aren’t so pearly white? At Ardsley Dental Spa, her office in Ardsley, New York, Dr. Hinna Chaudhry offers three cosmetic dentistry options for eliminating yellow stains.
Here’s what you need to know.
Over-the-counter vs. professional whitening
When you’re ready to say goodbye to stained teeth, your first choice is whether you want to try over-the-counter products or professional treatments. OTC products have several advantages:
- They’re convenient and readily available
- You have options: whitening toothpaste, mouthwash, gels, strips, etc.
- You can use them where and when you choose
Despite these perks, over-the-counter whitening products aren’t always as effective as you might hope. The explanation is simple: OTC whitening strips or pastes don’t contain the same strength of whitening agent as the professional-grade options.
This means that whitening your teeth with OTC products can be less efficient and less effective. And the generic trays don’t fit your teeth perfectly, which can result in patchy or missed spots.
Which professional whitening treatment is right for you?
Cosmetic dentistry is customized to help you reach your unique aesthetic goals. The treatment that worked for your best friend might not be right for you, and that’s okay. Dr. Chaudhry walks you through all of your options during your consultation.
Depending on your needs, you might choose in-office whitening treatments, professional-grade take-home whitening treatments, or veneers, which are thin, tooth-colored shells that cover the fronts of your teeth.
You might consider in-office whitening treatments if:
- You’re busy and want to maximize your time
- You want to brighten your teeth by several shades
- You want to take advantage of shade planning with computer matching
You might consider take-home trays if:
- You prefer to whiten your teeth in the privacy of your home
- You want the potency and effectiveness of professional-grade whitening agents
You might consider veneers if:
- Your teeth don’t respond to whitening treatments
- You have permanent or stubborn stains
- You have other issues (e.g., cracked or misshapen teeth) you’d also like to correct
When you’re considering teeth whitening, Dr. Chaudhry uses Vident VITA Easyshade® computerized shade matching so you can visualize the results of your whitening treatments.
In-office treatments take just about 45 minutes; a special light activates the whitening gel and speeds up the process. If you’ve opted for take-home whitening, Dr. Chaudhry gets you set up with your customized trays 一 no one-size-fits-all trays here!
If your stains are permanent and you’ve selected veneers, you also receive a customized treatment planning session in which Dr. Chaudhry discusses your ideal outcome, based on X-rays using the Dexis™ system and shade matching.
How to keep your teeth dazzling
Whether you’ve brightened your smile with veneers or whitening treatments, you can implement a few strategies to keep your teeth sparkly white:
- Brush twice a day for a full two minutes (plaque can make your teeth appear yellow)
- Floss to remove plaque from between your teeth
- Rinse your mouth after eating stain-causing foods like tomato sauce, curry, or wine
- Schedule regular cleanings
- Schedule whitening touch-ups, if needed
To schedule your cosmetic dentistry consultation or to learn more about teeth whitening and veneers, call Ardsley Dental Spa at 914-348-9815 or request an appointment online today.